Whitman Elementary School Briefly Evacuated

SPOKANE — Children and faculty were evacuated from Whitman Elementary School Tuesday morning due to reports of a natural gas smell.

The only children inside the building at the time were those enrolled in early-morning day care. Students who arrived by bus were kept off the property and extra buses were brought in to house students who had walked to school.

Spokane Firefighters determined that the gas leak was not coming from inside the school, rather from a neighborhood surrounding the school in the 5400 block of N. Helena.

Students were able to begin school on time at 9:00 a.m.

Fire crews are still trying to find the source of the leak.