Vandal women take down Eastern Washington in rivalry tilt

Idaho tops Hawai’i 67-52 in final non-conference game of the season

MOSCOW, Idaho — The University of Idaho Vandals Women’s Basketball team (9-5, 4-1) topped Eastern Washington (2-11, 1-4) Thursday night 69-60 in Cowan-Spectrum Arena. The win was Head Coach Jon Newlee‘s 200th win at Idaho. Newlee became the winningest coach in program history in 2017 and further cements his legacy with his 200th win tonight. Newlee is only the second Head Coach in all of Idaho Athletics history to win 200 games. Three players scored in double-figures as Lizzy Klinker recorded a double-double to lead the Vandals with 14 points and 11 rebounds.

The Vandals struggled early in the contest, falling behind 7-3 in the opening three minutes to Eastern Washington.

Two three-pointers within thirty seconds from Gina Marxen and Champney Pulliam gave Idaho a 9-7 lead at the 4:59 mark in the first period.

Idaho closed the period on a 5-3 run, which included another three-pointer, to carry a 16-10 lead in to the second period.

A quick three-pointer from Janie King to less than 20 seconds into the second period gave Idaho a 19-10 lead.

Over the next five minutes of play the Eagles took a 28-24 lead over Idaho following a 15-5 run.

Following three free-throws from Lizzy KlinkerGina Marxen drilled a three-pointer at the 2:47 mark to take the lead back, 30-28.

The Klinker sisters added five points down the stretch of the period as Idaho took a 35-31 lead in to the locker room at halftime.

Idaho led by as many as nine points in the third period following a pair of free-throws from Beyonce Bea with 6:44 remaining.

Eastern Washington closed out the third on a 10-5 run over the Vandals, however Idaho carried a 53-51 lead into the fourth period.

The fourth period was all Idaho as the Vandals outscored Eastern Washington 26-9. Idaho led by as many as 14 points, 69-55, when Marxen added another bucket with 36 seconds to go in the game.

The Eagles knocked down two threes in the final 30 seconds, but the Vandals would still take the win 69-60.