Three Rockets Hit Israel, Which Says Truce Broken
JERUSALEM (AP) — The office of Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert says a cease-fire that took effect last week is over after three Palestinian rockets hit southern Israel.
Islamic Jihad militants in the Gaza Strip say they carried out the attack to avenge an Israeli military raid in the West Bank that left one of its members dead earlier Tuesday.
The West Bank isn’t formally part of the truce. But the militant group says it “cannot keep its hands tied” when its “brothers” in the West Bank are being targeted.
However, the Gaza Strip’s ruling Hamas group says it remains committed to the truce.
Israel’s national rescue service says two people were lightly wounded in the rocket attack. There’s no word on how Israel will react to the incident.
Israeli soldiers killed two Palestinians in the West Bank raid.