Tax Day 2022: What you need to know if you haven’t filed yet

SPOKANE, Wash. — Monday is your last day to file federal income taxes and it’s important to have your return postmarked before midnight.

If you think you may have trouble making the deadline, you may need to get an extension.

In fact, the IRS is recommending it for taxpayers who haven’t filed yet to avoid rushing and making a mistake.

You can file an extension online for free using the IRS free file through Form 4868. This will give you until October 17 to get paperwork in.

But keep in mind that an extension to file is not an extension to pay. The IRS still expects you to pay anything you owe by Monday’s April 18 filing deadline.

If you owe money, you’ll have to estimate your tax liability and make a payment.

RELATED: 3 Ways To Estimate Your Taxes

But if you can’t pay right now, there’s no need to panic.

“If a taxpayer’s financial situation is very, very complicated at this time, they don’t have money to pay this, they should definitely contact the IRS and arrange for a payment plan so they can pay in installments,” said IRS spokesperson Alejandra Castro.

If you’ve filed already and you’re expecting a refund, it’s typically going to take about 21 days to receive it if you filed electronically.

With a paper tax return, it could be weeks or months.

RELATED: Tax season begins Monday: How the pandemic will continue to affect how you file