South Hill bathroom fire injures firefighter, causes $25K in damages

cda fire

SPOKANE, Wash. — The Spokane Fire Department (SFD) responded to a fire in a South Hill residence Saturday morning.

According to SFD, the resident was returning home when he discovered a fire on the bathroom ceiling.

The smoke alarms sounded, and when fire crews arrived, the resident and his dog had already escaped. Firefighters put out the flames within a few minutes, which caused an estimated $25,000 in damage, though they prevented a further $300,000 of damage with their efforts.

The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical fault. A firefighter was injured in the response, and was transported to Sacred Heart, where he was treated and later released.