Grant County resident hospitalized with suspected hantavirus

Grant County resident hospitalized with suspected hantavirus
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Grant County Health District officials are investigating a suspected case of hantavirus in a middle-aged Grant County resident.

The resident is believed to have been exposed to contaminated deer droppings while cleaning out their vehicle. According to the resident’s family, the resident has been hospitalized with respiratory failure from the illness since April, but is improving.

Preliminary test results tested positive for Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome, but the results have not yet been confirmed. If the results are confirmed, this will be the first hantavirus case reported in Grant County in six years. In 2012, two Grant County residents died of HPS. On average, one to five confirmed cases are reported each year in our state.

You can find more information on the illness here.