Fire Destroys Garage, Damages House Near Green Bluff

MEAD – A fire has destroyed a garage and damaged a house near Green Bluff Saturday afternoon.

The fire at 10203 E. Peone Road, near Moffat Road, was called in just after 2:30 p.m.  When crews from Spokane County Fire District #9 arrived, they found a garage fully involved and spreading to the adjoining house.  Firefighters were able to save the house, but the garage burned to the ground.  The house suffered some damage.

A neighbor, who witnessed the fire, said the flames went about 30 feet into the air as it consumed the garage.

“The smoke was absolutely ridiculous, the smoke went hundreds and hundreds, and hundreds of feet into the air and then off into the distance,” neighbor Mitchell Moczulski said.

The home belongs to a Spokane County sheriff’s deputy, who was taking a nap when the fire began.  He got out safely, along with a three-year-old child.  Neither was injured.

The fire started in the garage, but crews are trying to figure out how it started. They said that a propane tank on the backside of the garage may have fueled the fire.