Fire at duplex for second time in a week

Fire at duplex for second time in a week

Spokane firefighters responded to a duplex fire near Mission and Riverton Avenues around 5 a.m. Tuesday.

According to firefighters, there was a fire at the same duplex last Wednesday and the residence has not had electricity since then. Four teenage boys were home and tried to warm the house up with a makeshift fire using wood pallets. Their mother was staying at a hotel.

The fire got out of control, causing the boys to wake up to smoke. They called 911.

Avista was on-scene investigating a claim that the owners of the duplex were stealing electricity from a neighboring house using an extension cord.

Red Cross is assisting the family, as they have been told by firefighters to stay out of the house for the time being.