Clergy Abuse Claims Rose Last Year
NEW YORK — A new report from the nation’s Roman Catholic bishops says the American church received more abuse claims against clergy last year than in the previous year.
Nearly all the 803 claims were made by adults who said they were molested decades ago. Most of the accused clergy are dead, out of the priesthood or missing.
The data are from an annual review of child safety in U.S. dioceses and religious orders that is set to be released Friday. The Associated Press obtained a copy.
Dioceses and religious orders spent about $436 million on settlements and other expenses last year, a drop from the previous year.
The auditors also found nearly all dioceses they reviewed have fully implemented the bishops’ child protection policy.